RETURN TO PLAY SAFETY PROTOCOLS
At Sportball, the health and well-being of our children and families will always be our number one priority. COVID-19 has presented new challenges; however, we remain committed to ensuring that our programs are SAFE. We will always ensure that we follow best practices and that we listen, understand, learn and are BRAVE together!
Public health officials continue to provide best practices to ensure our health and safety. As such, we have undertaken to update and improve all safety protocols and procedures associated with the delivery of Sportball programs. We will continue to adjust and follow best practices as more information becomes available to us.
We ask that you read through the following information so that you are aware of the steps we are taking to ensure the safety and health of our Sportball community as we return to play.
- Sportball coaches are required to wear a facemask when coaching within 3 metres of participants and coworkers. We will continue to follow regulations and best practices.
- All adults participating in indoor programs must wear a facemask during the program and when in any public common space. We highly recommend that all adults participating in outdoor programs wear masks.
- All children in indoor and outdoor programs are not required to wear a facemask, however it is highly recommended.
- All individuals aged 2+ years are required to wear a facemask when in common areas (entrances, hallways, washrooms, etc) at all times.
Parents & Caregivers
We ask that our Sportball parents and caregivers support us in our efforts to keep children safe. Before attending each Sportball class, parents must complete the parent waiver, that includes a health-screening questionnaire for parents and children participating.
- For Outdoor programs: When attending Sportball programs, we ask that ONLY one designated caregiver be present for the duration of the class to support your child when necessary. Please follow the instruction of your coach to understand where you are to sit during program time.
- Use the washroom before attending your Sportball program as facilities may not be accessible at your program location. For Drop-off programs children must be able to use the washroom on their own. If washrooms are located outside of the gym, we ask that parents remain in or nearby the facility to assist in taking their child to the washroom.
- Ensure that your children have washed their hands before participation. Please provide your own hand sanitizer. We do not know what allergies children may have.
- Please maintain three metres of social distance from others when participating in Sportball programs. Two metres of distance is required at other times (arrival, dismissal, washrooms).
- We ask that only one parent attend Sportball programs to support and/or participate in Sportball programs. This will help to limit the number of people in the facility at any given time.
- If your children exhibit any symptoms of illness, please refrain from attending programs.
- Review your community policies regarding health, safety, and PPE (i.e. face masks) and prepare accordingly.
All coaches returning to Sportball must complete a training course, reviewing best practices and new protocols for health and safety as outlined by Public health officials and the Sportball Training Team.
- Coaches are expected to monitor their health for any covid-19 symptoms and complete a health-screening questionnaire before coaching programs.
- Sportball coaches must follow community policies regarding health, safety, and PPE (i.e. face masks) and prepare accordingly.
- Sportball coaches are permitted to be closer than 3 metres to a participant in order to provide assistance.
- Before each class, coaches will review safety rules with children and will demonstrate how to create a safe distance during practice and play.
- Rules will be presented in a developmentally appropriate way so that children are not afraid and are able to understand best practices expected at Sportball.
Program Delivery & Equipment
- Markers (set 3 meters apart) will be used to indicate where children must sit during instruction & skill practice time.
- Class size maximums are 9 children + 1 coach for drop-off programs and 4 children/parent pairs + 1 coach for parented programs
- Where equipment kits are not included in program fees, children will be given with their own equipment to use throughout each class.
- Sportball coaches will be responsible for distributing and collecting equipment throughout the class.
- Skills and games have been modified to maximize participant safety and to promote social distancing.
- We coach very young children and establishing a three-metre distance will thus not always be possible.
- Coaches will collect and sanitize Sportball provided equipment after each use. Equipment sharing will not be permitted.
We believe that our collective effort and commitment to these safety standards and practices will ensure that Sportball programs continue to be safe, fun, and enjoyable for all of us!
Welcome home Sportball families, welcome home!